U of A Outreach Honor Band
- Audition Information
- Important Steps
- Participation Fees
- History and Purpose
Auditions for Fall 2016: Saturday, September 10, 2016.
For fall semester, you must Register Online by Thursday, September 8, 2016 to audition for the group.
Auditions for Spring 2017: Saturday, February 11, 2017.
For spring semester, you must Register Online by Thursday, February 9, 2017 to audition for the group.
- Musicians already in the ensemble must register and audition each semester. Placement takes into account student's musical ability and the instrumentation needs of the group.
- Students should practice scales and a solo passage to be prepared for this audition. Most students who can read music, play rhythms accurately, and produce a good solid tone on their instrument are accepted into the group. We want to keep the musicianship level high in this group, so beginning students (under 2 years of experience on the instrument), those who cannot read music, or those who are not available on many Saturday mornings may not be accepted but should still audition
- Students check in outside the U of A Fred Fox School of Music Room 170 starting at 8:00 AM on audition day (see above for dates).
- All students (new and returning students) are heard by the section coaches to determine membership and chair order.
- Each audition should be approximately 3-5 minutes and will consist of the following:
- 2 major scales one octave (extra points for playing scales 2 octaves), selected from: Eb, Bb, F, C, G, D, or A Major (not transposed)
- chromatic scale (at least two octaves)
- student's prepared piece/solo (approx. 30-60 seconds)
- sight reading passage (provided by the coach)
- Any student who misses the audition or arrives too late may not be selected for the group or may be placed at the end of the section, at the director’s discretion and depending on instrument needs.
- Within a couple of days, students and parents will be notified of results via email. Any student that is accepted in the group should plan on arriving for the first rehearsal the following Saturday by 8:30 AM, with their instruments, pencils, and payment for the semester (check or money order only made out to "The University of Arizona"). Please see fees below:
- New Member: $85
- Returning Member: $75
- Member with a sibling also in the group: $65
- Download the 2016-2017 Schedule. All members must make sure that they can attend our rehearsals, the dress rehearsal, and the concert. We typically have 11-12 rehearsals to prepare for the concert, so members may not miss more than two rehearsals.
- Register Online. All interested students (new and returning) must apply online. After you apply, you will receive verification, information, and will then be emailed audition details.
- Prepare for the following for your audition: scales (chosen from Eb, Bb, F, C, G, D, A, and chromatic on your instrument, not transposed), a solo of your choice (approximately 30 seconds in length), and sightreading. Practice all these before the audition date. Placement in the group is contingent upon a successful audition and instrumentation need of the group.
- If you make the group, please arrive at the first rehearsal with a check or money order, made out to "The University of Arizona" for the appropriate tuition amount. Also, bring your instrument and a pencil. Music will be provided when you arrive.
- The University of Arizona has adopted a new policy for campus activities involving minors, and each program at the U of A that works with non-enrolled students under the age of 18 must follow this new policy. Please read and sign these forms, which contain a one-on-one policy, image release, and behavioral expectations. These are due no later than our third rehearsal.
Fees are due at the first rehearsal of each semester during check-in (NOT during the auditions). Families may pay by check or money order (made out to "The University of Arizona"). Fees are due at the first rehearsal during check-in. We cannot handle credit card payments.
- New Student (first semester of membership): $85.00 first semester
- Returning Students: $75.00 each semester
- Families with more than one child participating: $65.00 per child/semester
- Attendance will be taken at the beginning of each rehearsal. There are typically 11-12 rehearsals and a concert each semester.
- If a student is absent for more than two rehearsals, he/she will forfeit membership in the group without a refund and will not be permitted to participate in the concert at the end of the semester. Students who have a conflict with a school music activity will be excused. Family emergencies are also excusable if you stay in contact with the Dr. Nolan as issues arise.
- Please contact Dr. Nolan in advance of the absence, if possible. Absences without any notification will be counted as unexcused.
- This is an HONOR band. Therefore, each student is responsible to practice the music and learn his/her parts quickly.
- At all rehearsals, all students are expected to bring their pencils, instruments, and music folders.
- Percussionists are expected to provide their own sticks and mallets.
- Participants are expected to take care of the music issued to them. You may mark your music in pencil, but never in ink, pen, or other marker. Keep your music looking nice and neat, and store it in your folder when not in use. You are only issued one set of music per semester, so take care of it.
- "To Be On Time Is To Be Late!" Please be in your seat and ready to play by 8:45 A.M. for warm-up, attendance check-in, and tuning. Doors will be open at 8:30 A.M.
- Consume all food and beverages prior to rehearsal. We cannot bring in food, drinks (except water), or gum into our rehearsal room.
- Please review the above responsibilities with your child so that there is a clear understanding of our expectations.
- If your child has a medical condition we should know about, please make us aware of the situation.
- All rehearsals are open to parents and you are always welcome to observe rehearsals.
- Remember that we rehearse on a college campus, so please ensure that your child has safe transportation to and immediately from rehearsal. We cannot be responsible for your child before or after rehearsals.
All rehearsals and concerts are located in the University of Arizona's Fred Fox School of Music, which is on the southeast corner of Speedway Blvd. and Park Ave. The physical address is: 1017 N. Olive, Tucson, AZ 85721. We rehearse in room 170 of the Fred Fox School of Music, which is on the ground floor at the southwest side of the building.
If you are parking your car, the best place is in the Park Parking Garage located just north of the Speedway and Park intersection (off of Park Ave, directly behind the 7-Eleven Store). Parking is free in the garage on the weekends. There are also many metered spots on the side streets throughout campus. Please observe signs posted regarding parking restrictions and do not park at any local businesses near the Fred Fox School of Music.
History and Purpose
The Outreach Honor Band was formed in the fall of 1993. The group services public and private school music programs in the extended Tucson metropolitan area. Membership is open to advanced instrumental and percussion students in 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th grades.
Repertoire is selected to challenge the members on a number of levels. Pieces by leading composers for young band are selected for rehearsal and performance.
Rehearsals are quite rigorous, fast-paced, and enjoyable. Discussion about the pieces of music and their historical context are central to the preparation process. The coordinator, conductors, and staff help the members recognize and identify multiple approaches to practicing the music. Each rehearsal, students sit side-by-side with university musicians who guide students on their instruments and technique.
Rehearsals are held in Room 170 of the Fred Fox School of Music and performances are in Crowder Hall, giving students a feel for the university setting and an opportunity to play in the performance home of the University Wind Ensemble and the University Orchestra.
Get More Information
For questions or more information, please contact the Coordinator of Outreach Activities for the School of Music and Director of the Outreach Honor Band, Dr. Karin K. Nolan.
If you experience problems viewing the PDF files, or a blank screen comes up, try right-clicking on the link and select "Save Target As..." to save the file to your hard drive before opening it. You may need to upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader.